Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spring training, day eleven


Day 11, Spring Training. Joker Marchant Stadium, Lakeland. Home of the Detroit Tigers. According to the Pirates program I picked up, the Tigers have the longest tenure in the same town – 62 years – of any spring training team. The Phillies are next with 61 years in Clearwater and the Dodgers have been in Vero Beach for 59 years. Fourth are the Pirates who are celebrating their 49th year in Bradenton. The Tigers’ program said nothing about their tenure here, but the PA announcer claimed the Tigers were spending their 71st year in Lakeland. So the numbers vary, but in any event, the Tigers have been here a long time.

It’s been dry as a bone all winter, but I was threatened with my first rainout today. It rained for the last half hour of my ride there and was sprinkling when I arrived. It rained hard about 50 minutes before game time, but quit about 20 minutes later. The game was delayed for 35 minutes for the ground crew to get the field in shape.

The stadium recently underwent a renovation and it looks great. Another spacious park – 340’ down the lines and 420’ to dead center. The power alleys are unmarked. There is an overhang all the way around the stadium (except for the bleachers in left), and as usual, there is more shade on the 1st base side. My seat was three rows up just past the first base bag. They added more rows of seats closer to the field during the renovation, so I was nearer the action than the players in the dugout. The stadium was packed except for the bleachers down the left field line and the berm seating (apparently the Florida standard term for sitting on grass on a hill) over the left field wall.

Saw the Phillies again. As usual, lots of Phillie fans in the joint. Although the Tigers wore their home white, the Phillies again sported those strange blue uniforms. I’m guessing it’s some kind of marketing campaign to get people to buy still another team jersey. But being Philadelphia born and raised and having seen the Phillies play more times than I can count, they just look bizarre to me in blue. All the stars for the Phils played; the Tigers were missing IRod and newly acquired Gary Sheffield.

Ryan Howard batted from the left side against lefty Mike Maroth. I can swear that he turned around and batted from the right side and hit a home run against CC Sabathia earlier this spring. Maybe I’ve been in the sun too long. Howard played first base, so I got a good look at him from my seat. He’s a wide body. After he left the game in the 6th inning, I moved behind home plate as the changeable Florida weather was now bright sunshine.

As we get deeper into spring training, starting pitchers are going longer. Maroth pitched five, and Phils’ Freddie Garcia went into the 5th, but was pulled after giving up a run and loading the bases in that frame. Tiger Brandon Inge greeted Phils’ reliever Brian Sanchez with a bases-clearing double. Sanchez was also bombed by the Reds when I saw the Phils earlier this month. After Maroth’s exit, Tigers brought on 40 year old Jose Mesa to pitch. I thought he was laughed out of baseball a couple of years ago after setting the record for highest ERA in the modern era. What can the Tigers be thinking? If Jose Mesa is the answer, what can possibly be the question? Phils quickly score three runs off him and retake the lead in the inning he pitched. But since the Tigers, who went on to win 12-9, score a pair in the bottom of the 6th, Mesa gets the win! Curtis Granderson, Jose Guillen and reserve Timo Perez homer for the Tigers. Shane Victorino homers for the Phils. With the huge outfield, Tigers’ Brandon Inge and Phils’ reserve Mike Bourn triple.

This is the only stadium outside of Sarasota/Bradenton that I’ve seen so far that I’d consider returning to if I can score a ticket in the grandstand on the first base side. The drive was an hour and 15 minutes, but I didn’t get stuck in traffic. I also found the back entrance into and out of the parking lot making it even easier.

I’m hoping I like Bright House Networks field in Clearwater as much when I go there to see the Phillies play on Monday.

Dad

No comments: