Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring Training, Day Three


Day 3, Spring Training. Ed Smith Stadium, Sarasota. Home of the Cincinnati Reds. The crappiest stadium I’ve been in so far. Very little shade available – only in the top 5 or so rows on the third base side and about 10 rows on the first base side, although the shadows lengthened on the first base side as the game went on. If I were Ed Smith, I’d get them to name the damn place after someone else. I understand that a stadium replacement is planned, and the sooner the better. Seat was in the second row down the first base line somewhat past the edge of the infield/outfield grass. I bought tickets to three other Reds games since it was so close to home so I guess I had better get used to it. At least one of them is a night game. Parking was OK, although the route they sent me to the overflow lot was somewhat convoluted. I think they like convoluted routes in Florida. The weather was a little cool – 62 at game time, so sitting in the sun the whole day wasn’t too bad.

Griffey, Jr. is hurt – again. Seems like he broke his hand wrestling with his kids. Or so he says. He would lose big bucks if he was engaging in some activity prohibited by his contract. But breaking your hand wrestling with kids? How big are his kids? 6’8”, 270#?

The Reds wore, well, red. That’s the Phillies’ color – or at least it used to be. They used to wear grey uniforms on the road, but they wore these funky blue uniforms today. The Phillies looked strange in blue. Ryan Howard didn’t play for the Phils. I get to see the Phillies at least three times more, so I hope to see him at another game. Either there were a lot of Phillies’ fans at the game or these people cheer for everything.

Reds rally from 5 down to win 9-8. Both sides combine for 27 hits. The Reds (and the goddamn Yankees) are undefeated so far in Grapefruit League play. Homers by Brandon Phillips and sub Jerry Gil for the Reds and backup catcher Carlos Ruiz for the Phillies. Although he started the game, I guess he’s the backup because I never heard of him before. Suicide squeeze brings home the winning run in the bottom of the 8th.

Tomorrow, it’s on to Bradenton to see the Pirates.

Dad

1 comment:

Cheer said...

Hello Mike's dad. I enjoyed reading your blog even though I did not see a thing about the Royals or the Cubs. Since those are the teams I cheer for when do you think I will see a World Championship Trophy again?